Connecting Your Xbox to a Computer Monitor

Connecting Your Xbox to a Computer Monitor

RogueDB
Does anyone do this? I'd like to get my xbox hooked up near my PC, so I can play Shadowrun on both, and maybe a little Battlefield 3/etc. How well does it work? I know the newer xboxes have the right port.

Anyway, random thought.

Re: Connecting Your Xbox to a Computer Monitor

It's called an Xbox 360 VGA cable, I own one and it runs about 40 bucks brand new.  But you can probably find one for cheaper.  It has great quality but you will need an external audio source unless your monitor has built in speakers.

Re: Connecting Your Xbox to a Computer Monitor

RogueDB
Thank you, sir. I will check that out for sure. I think I read about the audio issue a while back. Fortunately I've got a stereo in the room that I could run everything to. I think this needs to happen. I used to play my xbox through a 40 inch flat screen, but I'm now totally attached to my 25 inch monitor and where I sit.

Anyone know of a way to switch between inputs on a computer and xbox? I guess I'm thinking of  something like an A/B switch you use for guitar amplifiers. I want to be able to switch between the xbox and my computer without having to unplug things every time. However, I will do what I need to do.

Re: Connecting Your Xbox to a Computer Monitor

I think that would be a vga splitter, not sure how they work exactly.
SJ

Re: Connecting Your Xbox to a Computer Monitor

SJ
I run my xbox on my monitor and can give you a lot of first hand information. depending on which gen your xbox is it may have hdmi. if it does this is the easiest, hdmi from xbox to monitor or hdmi2dvi adapter and then to your monitor.
 if you do this route an extra 360 cable is needed for sound. THIS ONE. the R and L audio jacks can be plugged into THIS and then a 3.5mm audio cable can run wherever, headphones, microphone in on a pc. i would advise to run thorugh speakers first so you can amplify the sound.

If no HDMI then you will need xbox2vga cable and can still output 1080 in analog, you will still need that small adapter to connect to 3.5mm devices.

Next if you use headphones put voice options to play through speaker and your done.

Obviously a hdmi/dvi/vga switch can be used on your monitor to control inputs if you only have 1 socket. This is one similiar to what I have.

I currently have xbox>hdmi>dvi adapter>monitor and xbox rca cable>RCAto3.5mm female adapter>2.1speakers>headphones

Also note that while an xbox will not display HD and SD  picture at the same time it will do HDMI sound and composite sound.

Re: Connecting Your Xbox to a Computer Monitor

RogueDB
Thanks so much, SJ. I'm up and running now. Looks like a slight decrease in quality from my TV, but at least I'll play the thing now. Really appreciate your guys' help!

On Feb 16, 2012, at 9:39 AM, "SJ [via Shadowrun Forums]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://shadowrun-forums.1045820.n5.nabble.com/Connecting-Your-Xbox-to-a-Computer-Monitor-tp5487961p5489830.html
To unsubscribe from Connecting Your Xbox to a Computer Monitor, click here.
NAML
SJ

Re: Connecting Your Xbox to a Computer Monitor

SJ
The only problem with a a monitor setup, is that recording gameplay, is nigh impossible in a reasonable budget.