Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

Giancala
The game ran great until after I purchased Windows 8 on my PC. The game starts up and I am able to navigate through the menus, but once I start  a match, that's where I have a problem. The screen is all black and all I can see is my hud. I do hear the games audio but I can not see anything at all.  Is there a solution to this problem or is the game just not compatible with Windows 8?

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

DJ Da B3st
I play on Windows 8 and it runs fine. Anything that works on Windows 7 should work on Windows 8. Have you tried reinstalling the game?

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

Giancala
Yes, plenty of times.

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

Giancala
And all my drivers are up to date

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

DJ Da B3st
Are you sure your computer meets all the requirements of the game?
How did you get Windows 8 on the pc (was it a clean install, new pc purchase, or upgrade from windows 7)? If it's an upgrade from Windows 7, it could be that some files got corrupted somehow.

I'm not an expert on SR computer problems so I'm just trying my best to see if I can figure it out. Hopefully PlaySR, and other PC players will chime in.

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

I have yet to have anything with Windows 8 on it, so I basically know nothing on the subject.  Now Bloody El on the other hand said that he's run Shadowrun on Windows 8 before so maybe he'll chime in.

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

Bloody_eL
Yeah it has worked for me when I ran Windows 8.

Since apparently you are in the menus it says something is right. Does nothing work, like Solo Matches or Training. You might need to reinstall if when you enter the game you have issues.

If you are overclocking anything, go down to stock settings. There is a chance that it is not stable...

My computer does meet all the requirements, and before I installed Windows 8 it was working perfectly. I have reinstalled it many times and still the error occurs when I start a match. I can fire my weapon and move around, but like I said the screen is blacked out except for the hud.

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

Bloody_eL
Yeah I don't know if you have a good Video Card Driver. I would double check that and make sure that you have the latest driver. If you do, perhaps get an older driver and see if that works (Even if it's a Windows 7 Driver)

Also, if you have overclocked your video card, bring it down to stock settings... Perhaps your overclock is unstable.

I'm going to bed now, but if you reply I'll check back in the morning on this. Good Luck!

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

DJ Da B3st
Are you able to play solo matches or does it happen even then?

I remember one time I had a problem where I would be playing in a party and my game would freeze for about 5 seconds and when it would unfreeze I would be kicked out of the party but would remain in the game. I tried reinstalling the game a couple of times but that wouldn't fix the problem and finally decided to start from scratch and and factory reset the entire computer (do a fresh install of Windows). Only that ended up fixing it.

Now before you do something that extreme, if you still can't get it to work, I'd say contact customer support to see if they can be of help?

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

Giancala
I will do that, thank you. I just have really been wanting too play this game and this issue has been a buzzkill.

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

PINPOINTASSOCDOTCOM
Windows 8 SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDpwKiRKmZc
ShadowrunClub.com

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

omnipotive
I'm on Windows 8 right now and I actually like it so you can smd!

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

DJ Da B3st
Yeah I don't get what all the fuss is about Widnows 8. It's pretty much Windows 7 with some added features/metro apps. If you don't like the tile interface then boot straight to desktop (which is what I do btw). And if you want the start menu back, there are plenty of software available to get it back. It's not like you lose everything by upgrading.

The thing about the tile interface is that it's not that helpful if your computer isn't touch enabled (which mine isn't). So if it's what attracts someone then they should make sure to get a computer with a touchscreen.

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

Morphiiine
I'm having the exact same problem as this guy. I'd love to know if he got it fixed or if anybody knows a solution, maybe tone down graphics from what i've heard? I have no idea.

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

Jon S
I have the issue of getting the error message "Unable to initialize Live for Windows components," and I'm on Windows 8 as well. Any suggestions?

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

Normally I would suggest downloading Age of Empires or any other GFWL game because that always seemed to fix that issue.  I used to use a Halo 2 disc, and suggested to others to download AoE and start it up, but since the GFWL marketplace isn't available anymore I wouldn't know where to find it.  You can try to download the client here http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/PC/DownloadClient and see if it will allow you to download AoE.  I found by installing and running another GFWL game it would usually clear up the "failed to initialize live" problem.  I've had the problem several times myself.

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

Jon S
Thank you for the response, PSR. When I try to run the Games for Windows Marketplace program, I get an error: "Connection Error. Can't start the program. There may be a problem with your internet connection for the live service."

Should I try downloading Age of Empires or Halo 2 for Vista from another source, not this marketplace?

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

Any game that actually uses Games for Windows Live would work, not just them two, and they could come from any source digitally or physically.  I assume you don't have a game already installed on your pc that does use GFWL.  I knew they shut down the marketplace back in the summer, but I was hoping you could still run the client which now sounds like my hopes were in vain.  If there is a way to get another GFWL game going on your pc, then that would be my best advice.

Re: Does Shadowrun work on Windows 8?

Jon S
This method worked PERFECTLY. The game works absolutely perfectly now. Thanks for the tips, regardless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8lkm_4Qg-Q
12