Fears Return Idea for new format:

Bloody_eL
Instead of a best of 3 going to a best of 7 if 2 teams match up: it would be up to 3 best of 3 series.

Example scenario:

Team A beats Team B 2-0

Later, Team B wins 2 maps, therefore wins the second series. Now it's a best of 3 series to see who wins.

In that format it could potentially be 9 maps instead of 7.

What do y'all think?

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

a soggy fish
Sounds good, more play time and it seems to make more sense.

I'd be more enthusiastic if i was playing in the tournament...

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

Bloody_eL
Why do you think it makes more sense, or better than a best of 7, which is the current format?

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

onnoj
a more important change would to have tournament on one evening only, and play teams back-to-back. regarding your improvement. Three best of threes is the best way by far, if the two teams have already played 1 of the best of 3s in the winners finals.

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

Bloody_eL
I'm just confused why you and Fear think that it is the best way to do this ( 3 best of 3's)

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

I prefer it because if all the matches are best of 3 there's no way for me to get confused, which is also why i think it makes more sense to have them all in the same format. There is also a chance of more match time, which is always a good thing

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

Bloody_eL
Is it confusing? The idea of playing 9 maps is confusing to me. I would also rather not replay a map at all...

Halo 2 (maybe H1 too) for MLG had this format:

Best of 5, if they meet up again, then it's best of 11.

In the Finals, if the Winners Bracket team wins, they win. If losers win the "Best of 5," then they kick the Winners Bracket Finalist in the Losers Bracket, and they continue into the Best of 11.

Shadowrun is the same, but since SR games are typically longer than H2 games, it's Best of 3/Best of 7.

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

a soggy fish
Ok, now i'm confused. I say best of 13.

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

The new format(or old format) should include more and different maps.  I mean are we trying to bring in new players or just host tourneys with only a few real teams.  The way you host these tourneys is just catering to where private players have the most advantage.  I say pick random maps from the "entire" list out of a hat and if people don't like it, good.  It will make things more challenging for them.

I refuse to play another tournament match on pinnacle.

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

Bloody_eL
I don't think all maps would work if pulling from out of a hat. The reason why the best teams win isn't because of us "mastering" the normal maps, it's because we work as a team. Some maps are okay, but silly for competitive/tournament play. There are only a few maps that should be considered for tournament play.

That is not the discussion that I want to talk about in this thread. I'll make another for that. I want to discuss if the current format for a best of 3 extending to a best of 7 is fair in everyone's eyes.

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

Jande
Its exactly why you win. You've played YEARS and YEARS the three maps  and mastered every single tactic possible in them.  This would be my list of maps that could POSSIBLY work:

Power Station - Attrition
Lobby ( both big & small) - Attrition & Extraction
Nerve Center (both big & small) & Extraction.
Dig Site (Attrition)
Maelstrom (Attrition & Extraction)
Temple Grounds (attrition possibly)
Favela (Attrition & Extraction)
Pinnacle (Attrition & Extraction)

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

onnoj
so you're telling me that if you held a tournament on any maps but lobby/nerve/pinnacle, the group of players you are mentioning would struggle. hahahahahaha. secondly the fact is, that no matter what the maps are - no-one outside of that group even enter tournaments, so whats the point. People are too scarred. And please dont kid yourself that a) these other maps havent been mastered by people who are good tactical players and b) that they have mastered the maps they play.

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

Jande
Yes you guys would struggle much more, because you would be taken out of comfort zone and people would most likely have a much better chance of winning. The fact is when pub players are playing what they know  abit better propably would encourage them to atleast TRY. I would atleast

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

onnoj
so you're essentially saying that because the chance of players winning has gone up from 1% to 2% you think they will be more encouraged to play. I seriously doubt this.

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

PINPOINTASSOCDOTCOM
It sounds like you guys want more people to play in tournaments and there level of team play to improve. I have an idea that I have been thinking about for the past couple of weeks. I tried to get prophet to talk to me about it because I believe he is ideal to help me. I already have Locko and Reaxion who said they are interested in helping.

I think it would be a cool but I just not interested in doing it alone.

ShadowrunClub.com

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

a soggy fish
I can help

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

sorry pinpoint but reaxtion comes and goes, so I wouldn't count on him for much consistently, I mean him and loko wouldn't even show up for their matches, but loko at least plays regularly

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

PINPOINTASSOCDOTCOM
Well, I asked him about that and didn't get a response. But he seems genuine.
ShadowrunClub.com

Re: Fears Return Idea for new format:

If it's alright with everyone else, I think I'll bump the format to best of 5/best of 11.