How to Get Better

TALegion
This is my first post on these forums, for reference.

I've been playing Shadowrun more and more, because I've become bored with many of my old games. Now that I remember how awesome this game, I wanna take it more seriously and get better. How?
Are there any good guides, videos, commentators/teachers that I should know about? Or should I just keep playing and have it all be instinct.
Also, is this where I should find a group of others to play with? If not, can someone point me in that direction?
My strength is being a, "Runner" (As I've heard it called). Elf or Human (mostly Human) and rush and flank the enemy team with Teleport, Wired, Enhanced Vision, or variable abilities depending on the other team.
ohaithar

Re: How to Get Better

First of all, welcome, and glad to hear you rediscovered shadowrun.  If you're on xbox then check out the competitive players page, it has a link to http://gamefaktions.com with information on its various members.  They have the ryanator's guide to shadowrun there, and on the game info page here, there is a link to focians compendium of Shadowrun knowledge.  Both are indepth.  Feel free to add playshad0wrun and join up anytime.  Sometimes I go it alone, but most of the time I have a pretty good party of people.  To me the most important part of getting better at Shadowrun is getting to know it's players.

Re: How to Get Better

TALegion
Thanks a lot. That's kind of perfect. Watching good gameplay videos and listening to commentary by good players as well as practicing with a dedicated group.
I'll get on that right now.
ohaithar

Re: How to Get Better

swiftmiester
work on accuracy speed will come with practice then youll start drillin people

Re: How to Get Better

Mooky
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: How to Get Better

TruYadoo
Accuracy is a big must with Shadowrun and unlike almost every other shooter, it is not necessarily who shoots first wins. Being able to turn around a losing shootout to fighting to be the survivor. Accuracy will be your best friend. Learn common teleport routes and practice some of the more "challenging" ones. If not already done, practice gust gliding, gust teleporting, gust jumping, double teleports (Tip: Never try to consecutively triple teleport.) Learn the maps in all 6 directions. Some will say learn how to QuickCast, but I can map and activate pretty quickly. And as already stated, try learning the players. It helps to know who to and who not to mess with by yourself. Finally, find your strengths and weaknesses with every guns as every race, until you find the right combo for you.

And if you want to ever be really good, don't forget to just run past enemy bodies and leave them alone. lol

Re: How to Get Better

HL2HebrewHammer
I don't know about you're accuracy comment. The rifle seems to hit people when you shoot way out of the should be hit-box area. The smg requires extremly little accuracy as we'll. This the xbox aim assist I imagine it is even easier. Your last comment is also just an opinion, leaving bodies on the ground does not make you any better or worse.

Re: How to Get Better

TruYadoo
You still need to be able to aim relatively close for it to still register.. So you still need enough of a good accuracy to shoot extremely close to them.
Have you ever played Shadowrun for the Xbox 360. The Aim Assist is not Auto Aim. It merely assists you but does not do the work for you. So it's harder to "accurately" shoot someone with an SMG then you think.

And I believe that "Leaving bodies on the ground does not make you any better or worse" being an opinion is an opinion itself. Being able to kill someone once is usually easier than trying to kill them again, when they are out for revenge. (If they aren't already weak again or bleeding out.)

Re: How to Get Better

HL2HebrewHammer
Any aim assist is dum. Takes all the skill out of it. Killing someone that got rezzed is no different than killing them the next round. They don't get better just because they are out for revenge.

Re: How to Get Better

If you wanna train your accuracy, play against Hard bots. Thats how I've got a little better with rifle/sniper.
Also, if you have some buddies, do some privates. 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, doesnt matter.  I have been asked many times for 1v1 by some players that wanna learn the game.

Also, you can freely add me to your firned list  i Jande i  as I play pretty much everyday and am looking people to play with.

Re: How to Get Better

Mooky
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: How to Get Better

TruYadoo
Mooky wrote
Actually it is different.

For example...Lets say I killed Prophet and used him as bait....In comes Dude for the rezz...I kill Dude, Prophet bleeds out...That is 3 instead of 1 under my belt.  Or I could just leave Prophet and enjoy the thrill of hunting him down agian.  Thats still 2 kills in that round.
That's not really what I was getting at but okay. Yes, you get more kills under your belt in a single round but when people get killed and then revived and never saw their killer die yet, they usually want some form of revenge. Revenge can help but it can back fire on you as well. But when it helps, it can be a force to reckon with.

Re: How to Get Better

Mooky
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: How to Get Better

TruYadoo
Oh please! Revenge is what makes the world go round. ...Or is it flat?

Re: How to Get Better

Mooky
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: How to Get Better

TruYadoo
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GRAVITY. Science is a lie! lol

Re: How to Get Better

reaxtion
sorry, but i have to say this. this thread is full of fail....you cant teach someone mechanics, nor tell them how they can work on them.  people looking to get better needs to play against/with the above average and analyze your gamestyle. starts seeing what does and doesnt work, and the mechanics will come with it....dont get caught up in double teleports, gust gliding, and other non-sense.  learn the fundamental role of each race, play with others that know it aswell, and find a build you feel comfortable with.

Re: How to Get Better

I don't see where this thread is full of fail, or even capable of such.  It's just people giving random advice, none of it necessarily bad, they're definately not trying to say there's a definitive way to play.

Re: How to Get Better

You gotta learn the basics and the "other non sense" are a good portion of the basics. And just because a new player watches someone gust glide, they aren't necessarily going to learn how to do it. And some minor assistance can go a long way as well.

Like, sometimes, I tell people trying to gust glide (Which is hilarious to watch as they fail and fail.) to try it while crouching. I don't really know why or how, but it just seems to help people learn. Yes, they can just try and learn everything from watching but with so many "caring" people, someone should have the heart to give them a little boost.