Poll: New Maps?

This is just a simple tournament idea for us to throw around. I know a lot of this community likes the idea of new maps to use for the tournament. There are some that I think most would not view them as competitive maps. Here is a list of some that I think could work:

1) Favela Attrition/Extraction
2) Poco (small) attrition
3) Poco Attrition
4) Malestrom Attrition/Extraction (Extraction more than Attrition)
5) Lobby Big Attrition
6) Nerve Center Big Attrition

I'd like to hear what everyone thinks about adding these maps into the mix.
Should more maps be added to future tournaments?

Re: Bloody El's proposal for the next tournaments.

Bloody_eL
POSTED BY JANDE::::

This would be my list of maps that could POSSIBLY work:

Power Station - Attrition
Lobby ( both big & small) - Attrition & Extraction
Nerve Center (both big & small) & Extraction.
Dig Site (Attrition)
Maelstrom (Attrition & Extraction)
Temple Grounds (attrition possibly)
Favela (Attrition & Extraction)
Pinnacle (Attrition & Extraction)

Re: Bloody El's proposal for the next tournaments.

Minion Preacher
You guys are only focusing on the maps instead of the "style" of play or tournament....,instead of the maps -you should change the style!! MP

Re: Bloody El's proposal for the next tournaments.

onnoj
nice vague post their MP. You do realise that having any smaller teams than 4 would result in an alienation of any players who would want to play troll as It's just flat out a bad race in very small teams. And having larger than 4 players would result in no games being played because a)teams wouldn't form, because they don't form for 4s and b) scheduling is hard enough for 8 people - try adding 2 more or more.

Bloody, why are you so concerned with radically changing how tournaments work, due to the views of a few extremists who don't even enter tournaments anyway. Are you hoping for a large number of players of public players to play or even stick after 1 match? The thing is - most people who still play shadowrun enjoy shadowrun, whatever form of the game, if they didn't they wouldn't play. If they wanted to be competitive they would play in tournaments, and unless theres a huge community we don't know about then then chances are that the people who play now are not competitive enough.

This is the biggest issue. Im sure current private players would enter any tournament you throw at them because they enjoy the competitive nature of the game, but youre not going to get any more players by just changing the maps. More needs to be done about marketing and practicing as teams and not individuals.

The only other style I could feasibly see happening would be a timed game mode where one team has to win as fast as possible on attack on raid, but that would be extremely hard due to the game not having a clock system that spans through all the rounds.

Re: Bloody El's proposal for the next tournaments.

Bloody_eL
If it were up to me I would keep the format as it is forever. There have been some people who wanted a few changes to be made. Therefore, I wanted to make the threads to allow everyone's input. I'm saying that if there were going to be new maps, these would be the leading candidates. Dig Site and Temple Grounds will take a ton of convincing, and will probably never work.

I am growing on Favela and think that it wouldn't hurt to experiment.

Malestrom I'm indifferent. I do like that if someone tries to do a sneaky cap that it is hard to defend compared to other maps.

Poco because it was an MLG original map and I wanted more people to discuss it.

Re: Bloody El's proposal for the next tournaments.

onnoj
favela is a very reasonably idea, but when are you going to get 8 easy-going players to try it, theres always someone.

Re: Bloody El's proposal for the next tournaments.

Bloody_eL
There is also always someone (Himi) that likes to play Dwarf....

I bet we can get 1 map going of that.

Re: Bloody El's proposal for the next tournaments.

PINPOINTASSOCDOTCOM
I agree with onnoj .
I believe there needs to be levels to these tournaments and inorder to play in the top (Pro Tournamnts) you have to first win a intermediate level tournament. Other than your top teams. I know a bunch of rookies that want to learn team play but don't enjoy getting squashed.

Thus, I am working on asking pros to help coach some teams and have some amature tournaments. I also am thinking about recording the entire process and release on youtube so that others can learn. I also like haveing tournaments on all maps. Your team could then claim to be the best on Favela  etc. The tournament could then be  a "round robin" format where every team plays against eachother both as lineage and RNA ( I know it is very lopsided for either lineage or RNA on one map or another). I am worried with the release of Destiny our numbers will continue to decrease. This is one of the reasons I frequent the demo to inspire peopple to buy the real game. Another interesting thing that I see happening is with the release of the two new games Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun Online I am seeing an influx of new players to the xbox360 game. Eventhough, the publicity for the xbox360 is not the best it is still getting people to try out the demo.

But, yeah there are a bunch of people interested in team play just need the proper venue to do it.

ShadowrunClub.com

Re: Bloody El's proposal for the next tournaments.

I like all of the maps , however I think some such as temple grounds, maelstrom and large poco are either unfair based on Lineage/RNA spawns and some races being disadvantaged,  in my opinion anyway.

Pinpoint's idea of amateur tournaments and being taught by pro's is great, I'm one of the players who've never really played competitively but want to start, however privates play a lot differently to pubs and I'm pretty clueless regarding the strategies and roles different races play. I think lots of players will benefit from this and it will increase the number of players available to play in tourneys.

I like Minion's idea of making up different game types, It might be a good idea to try them out in privates and see how well they work/if people like them. Maybe try and organise 1 or 2 days a week for 'special' games?

Also I cant remember who said this but I agree that more matches should be recorded, especially tournaments and privates, as this may encourage existing players to explore different aspects of the game. And I like watching them instead of working...

Re: Bloody El's proposal for the next tournaments.

Jande
The problem is that not many people have recording device for Xbox. And because of Small maps you can only have 8 players in game so there wouldnt be space for any spectators. It would be whole different thing if matches were played on the big maps and spectators were allowed to record.

Re: Bloody El's proposal for the next tournaments.

a soggy fish
Yeah I've got a cap card but I get a migraine trying to set it up. I don't see why playing on bigger maps would be a problem, most of the fighting goes on in the (small) areas of most maps anyways.. although I do prefer first person viewpoint than 3rd.

Re: Bloody El's proposal for the next tournaments.

onnoj
big maps are actually not a problem at  all, the only times speed matters is when its extraction and thats only big maps anyway. the reason the match wasnt recorded was that noone was on who had the facility to, for the 2-3 hour period.

Re: Bloody El's proposal for the next tournaments.

a soggy fish
That's cool, i can record for people if i'm around, but it seems most matches are held pretty late so i'd need  a day or two notice

Re: Bloody El's proposal for the next tournaments.

act of god, my power going out was

YOU are a spectator..................Jande      Aka-Butt Pirate/wormboy

Why did you erase my post????

Re: Bloody El's proposal for the next tournaments.

a soggy fish
If you're talking about the butt-pirate post, it's still there. lol

Edit: yeah it looks like the one you made about gametypes has gone

you missed some good footage play. i thought you were keeping your laptop on even if the power was affecting your xbox?

Re: Bloody El's proposal for the next tournaments.

PINPOINTASSOCDOTCOM
Last year we I made a Katana tournament that had a great turnout and alot of people enjoyed. having rifle only , or sniper rifle only etc. tournaments give it another flare.

i am not sure why the no spectating comment was made. You could designate safezones or do the customary suicide technique.

ShadowrunClub.com

Re: Bloody El's proposal for the next tournaments.

My hotspot box ran out of juice way earlier than it should've which left me in the dark with nothing for 10 hrs.  I'm really sorry I missed it.