Poll: Weekend Tournaments or spanned over a month?

Poll: Weekend Tournaments or spanned over a month?

Bloody_eL
Fear brought this up to do a weekend tournament. I liked the flexibility of spanning it out, so teams would have time to communicate with each other to set a date to play the match.

The weekend tournament would have the deadline on Friday, and all matches to be played on Saturday. It could be rolled over to Sunday, but the logic here is most teams would be online anyway.

I am probably going to set one up next weekend anyway but I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this.
Should we do weekend tournaments?

Re: Poll: Weekend Tournaments or spanned over a month?

Sllew
Why not just have an ameutuer tourney every weekend or twice a month and have a "pro" tourney once a month or once every 2 months.

I know this has been discussed before, but it's never been done.

Re: Poll: Weekend Tournaments or spanned over a month?

PINPOINTASSOCDOTCOM
One of each a month should work. The criteria to play in the Pro tournamnet is to finish as the top two teams in an amature tournament unless you have been playing pro tournamnets. I actually recommend haveing three tournamnets a month. One amature and pro in the 4 v 4 a sub format and 1 in a specialty tournament (1 v1, 2v2, elf only, rifle only, katana only, etc.).

Re: Poll: Weekend Tournaments or spanned over a month?

Onnoj
Absolutely - I have been pushing for this idea for a long time. It's far easier to commit to a weekend then random nights over a month.

Re: Poll: Weekend Tournaments or spanned over a month?

instead of more and more tourneys how about more frequent tourneys (amateur and pro) and some regular 'friendly' privates as well? it's probably less hassle to set up a few private matches and it would be a good way to assess team skill level and stuff, especially for new/amateur teams

Re: Poll: Weekend Tournaments or spanned over a month?

I don't understand why we are all about more more more when the last one wasn't exactly a success or the two before that.  I mean if the host has to forfeit his own game then things aren't looking good.  I do like the idea of having less competitive tourneys during the month and then the "pro" tourney once a month or ever two months.

Re: Poll: Weekend Tournaments or spanned over a month?

Sllew
If you have 8 teams register 2-3 are almost guaranteed not to show. That is going to be true for any tourney ameutuer or pro. If we had 16 then 5-6 wouldn't show. If we had 4 then 1-2 wouldn't show.  It's been that way since I started. People get excited and sign up and then realize they are not good enough and quit or lose interest for whatever reason.

It always has been this way and always will be. The idea of more tourneys for ameutuer players is suppose to help the newcomers not get discouraged and hopefully they will not just abandon tourneys all together. Pro tourneys every month or 1 every 2 months is normal. Rescheduling drags out forever and then teams stop showing/caring.  We've never been able to fix that. We always say we are going to be strict with forfeits and scheduling, but it's still hard to keep things moving.

Re: Poll: Weekend Tournaments or spanned over a month?

Onnoj
Holding interest could be solved by forcing the weekend idea. A best of 3 8 team tourney would be max 9 rounds more like 7 (for finalists only mind you) - so you are only looking at around 2-3 hours. That's very reasonable.

Re: Poll: Weekend Tournaments or spanned over a month?

Sllew
True, but some people (like me) are never going to be able to play on weekends because of work.

Re: Poll: Weekend Tournaments or spanned over a month?

PINPOINTASSOCDOTCOM
Newcomers will get discouraged if sand bagers play and destroy them. Need to regulate who plays to keep levels equal.

Re: Poll: Weekend Tournaments or spanned over a month?

a soggy fish
Hence privates to assess player skill. there's probably a word for that but its too morning for brain