SR FAQ Compilation*LOOK HERE FIRST*CommonQuestions

SR FAQ Compilation*LOOK HERE FIRST*CommonQuestions

This has been edited and taken from: http://forums.xbox.com/13531740/ShowPost.aspx

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

What kind of game is Shadowrun?
"Shadowrun is an intense multi-player focused FPS experience that rewards cleverness and split-second improvisation through a unique combination of modern weapons, ancient magic and advanced technology"*. Along with traditional particle-based weapons (i.e. SMG, shotgun, etc.), you can also elect to use the deadly Katana, and many forms of magic (such as teleport and ressurect) and future-force technology (such as a Smart-Link aiming assistance and Glider personal aerial transport).

Is there a single-player campaign?
There is no single-player campaign in Shadowrun. The only thing you can do offline is the training and solo bot matches. Do not buy this game unless you like online multiplayer and have a Gold account, or have a desire to play against bots.

Is there split-screen?
There is no split-screen at this time. Developers have stated that there is a (low) possibility of it being added in the future.

Is it worth buying?

In my opinion it's one of the most fun and addicting shooter games I've played since Counter-Strike. However, I would advise renting it first since it's not for everyone.

What race should I play? What magic/tech/guns should I buy?
While a full discussion of this goes beyond the scope of this FAQ, it is my suggestion that in the first round of every game you should buy RESURRECT or TREE (teamwork=win). At the very least, buy magic or tech first round as they are retained even if you die, whereas guns are not. See the link compilation section for more threads with in-depth strategy discussions.

What is quickcasting? Do I have to assign res to use it?
Quickcasting is casting a spell or tech without assigning it to one of your assigned buttons. This is accomplished by holding down "B", then finding the appropriate magic or tech with your left thumbstick, and then pulling the right trigger. Any magic can be quickcast, but for Tech, only Grenades and AntiMagic Generators can be quickcast. Quickcasting is essential as you can res people or throw trees/grenades without wasting an assigned button slot. Learn it. Love it.

Can I earn achievements against bots in solo play?
No. You cannot earn any achievements in solo play except for the training missions.

Can I earn achievements in a private match?
Yes. You can earn achievements in a private match as long as there are at least 4 gamertags per team. (Note I said earn - this isn't an encouragement to boost - keep it legit people).

These achievement descriptions are vague! Can you explain them?
Most definitely! Visit http://360shadowrun.co.nr/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=55

What is this Karma system I keep hearing about?

The karma system is a type of dynamic handicap that will grant bonuses to the losing team and hindrances to the winning team. The losing team will benefit with more starting money at the beginning of a round, less essence cost for ressing teammates (2 pips instead of 4), teammates can be ressed more than once and enemy bodies are easier to clear. The winning team will find it takes much longer to clear the bodies of the losing team. Note the losing team has to be down by a significant margin for the karma system to kick in.

The servers suck! They keep quitting! Can't they fix this? Can I be the host?
There are no 'dedicated' servers for 360. Matchmaking will select the person with the 'best' connection and they become the server. Since no one can ever know when they are hosting (nor can you elect to be the host), if they quit, the game will attempt to migrate the host but it doesn't always work as desired, and you may have to search for another game.

Will I still unlock achievements if the server quits like this?

The developers have stated that achievements and progress towards them will be recorded even if the server quits. I'm a little unsure what happens if you are the one who loses connection in terms of achievement progress.

How do I play with my friends?
To join a game with your friends you should first get together in a PARTY. This is done by pressing "Y" from the Public Match menu and then you can send out invites. Then the leader of the party just has to back out of the Party interface and search for a match.

Why did my party get split up?

For balance reasons, parties may be split based on the trueskill ratings of their members as compared to the rest of the people in the game. Typically in the first game after matchmaking, your party will be split. However you should be re-united by the second game (ideally). While you are split up, take advantage of the opportunity to kill your friends for bragging rights! (Make sure to teabag them...)

Can I choose which map to play on?

By setting your Matchmaking Preferences, you can attempt to seek out or avoid particular maps, gametypes and game sizes. Note that the game will attempt to find you a game that matches your preferences, however it is not always possible to find a match to your liking, depending on the preferences you've set.

Why does it take forever to find a game?

Presently, some players are finding that it takes extremely long to find a game. That is just the way Shadowrun is. Also, ensure your NAT is open and the appropriate ports for Xbox Live are open or forwarded.

Are there stats/leaderboards/TrueSkill rankings in this game?
By design, there are no viewable lifetime stats, there are no leaderboards, and your TrueSkill rank is hidden. It is the position of the developers that all these things lead to cheating/glitching, statwh0ring, standbying and other undesired behaviours that affect the online experience.

What did the update do?
The first title update occurred around 6/21 and was very limited in scope and addressed a small memory leak among other things.

Will there be downloadable content?
There will most likely never be any DLC due to the company shutting down and the transferring of the rights to the game.

Is there any sweet machinema based on Shadowrun?
As a matter of fact, there is. Check out 1-800-MAGIC from Rooster Teeth, the makers of the popular Red vs. Blue (Halo machinema). http://lmgtfy.com/?q=1-800-MAGIC+Shadowrun

Re: SR FAQ Compilation*LOOK HERE FIRST*CommonQuestions

Unyobro
Great guide. In the section for "what should I buy" resurrect is spelled wrong though.

It might also be good to mention the roots of the series, PnP and the Snes and Genesis games. There's also a new game coming out that's browser based.

Re: SR FAQ Compilation*LOOK HERE FIRST*CommonQuestions

omnipotive
Fixed the spelling mistake.
And you just did mention it! :p But I'll add more information on that to the OP later.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Re: SR FAQ Compilation*LOOK HERE FIRST*CommonQuestions

Unyobro
If you want you can link to the snes and genesis versions on retrouprising. They work, no rom downloads and you can save your game. The PnP I wouldn't know much about, not into it.