Scoring the artifact, the forgotten objective.

Scoring the artifact, the forgotten objective.

Unyobro
When I say forgotten I don't mean people actually forgot it exists. I mean some people try to pretend like it doesn't or act like it's an inferior objective and people should be kicked out for doing it. I made this topic to discuss why those people are wrong. It's sad that I have to but we all know it's a game breaking issue.

First let's address the moronic idea that scoring/defending takes none or very little skill.

Defense

You need to be aware of the capture areas details. If you're just standing around waiting an experienced player will walk it in behind your back or kill you with it and then cap.
Calling out the flag and enemies is much more important. You need to be very aware.
You also need to know how to use your magic/techs to block the runner.

    Strangle can be used to create choke points or totally block the capture zone. The runner will have to drop the flag and remove it, unless they're a dwarf or have teammates.
    Summon will alert the defenders and attack enemies, with other support backing it up it will actually wreak havoc if not killed immediately.
    Gust is pretty obvious. Push the runner back and keep grenades from flushing the defenders out of their zone.
    Tree seems obvious too but some people don't realize it can be used to further choke up a choke point.
    Smoke, Teleport, WR and Glider are less useful in this situation unless they're used to help get rid of the artifact or just attacking normally.
    EV is very useful. With it you can see where the runner is coming from and if he has backup with him.
    SL is also very useful. Being unable to hit your team is ideal for such tight quarters and the extra level of zoom helps keep attackers from picking you off. Auto aim speaks for itself.
    AMGs are excellent because the runner and his backup will be reluctant to charge through them and be stuck with no way to retreat or use magic. Keep it away from strangle!

Attack

You need to know all the ways to get the artifact to the score zone. Running in the front door will almost always end badly.
Knowing when to drop the artifact to run or fight is important.
Hiding your route is key and not as easy as people think. If people spot your big glowing flag you'll most likely be blocked.
Calling out enemies and updating your team about your route will make you successful when there's any defense.
Tech and Magic need to be used carefully since you won't always be using it to kill an enemy directly. I'm not gonna list these since they're so obvious.

Scoring the artifact takes skill, it's impossible to deny that if you're honest about it. The only exceptions are the first score if people aren't ready for it or the other team doesn't defend. Both of those are the defenders fault though. By scoring or even just picking it up you're making people play smarter and adapt. This is good for the community because it makes everyone better and you appreciate the finer points of what the devs crafted.

So what are the arguments for it not being a viable part of the game? Not liking it doesn't count.

Re: Scoring the artifact, the forgotten objective.

DJ Da B3st
I don't have any real reason why it's not a viable part of the game so I guess you've made your point. But it gets really annoying when someone keeps scoring the artifact over and over. Usually people who do this are just trying to be douche bags instead of what you're hoping is them displaying some sort of artifact-scoring-skill.

Re: Scoring the artifact, the forgotten objective.

Unyobro
Why don't you stop them?

Re: Scoring the artifact, the forgotten objective.

DJ Da B3st
I do. I kill them and I clear them.

Re: Scoring the artifact, the forgotten objective.

I actually don't mind and kind of like defending sometimes, but it gets a little annoying if I'm the only one trying to defend while everyone else goes their separate ways.  I also like scoring the artifact sometimes, but there are certain times where it is just frowned upon(5-5 match, scoring several times while ahead, being 0-10 with 4 scores).  While you may not feel that those things matter, a lot of others feel that they do.

Re: Scoring the artifact, the forgotten objective.

a soggy fish
I second that Play, it makes a change from the usual running and gunning and makes the game slightly more strategic if someone is trying to score. And yet, as with body clearing, there are times when it's obvious that all it's going to do is annoy people and get you kicked. Common sense and discretion are needed

Re: Scoring the artifact, the forgotten objective.

PlayShadowrun wrote
I actually don't mind and kind of like defending sometimes, but it gets a little annoying if I'm the only one trying to defend while everyone else goes their separate ways.  I also like scoring the artifact sometimes, but there are certain times where it is just frowned upon(5-5 match, scoring several times while ahead, being 0-10 with 4 scores).  While you may not feel that those things matter, a lot of others feel that they do.
If you're the only one defending it's your teams fault for not responding to the objective. You should say something to them. You could also act like the anti body clearing people and just TK and vote them out, if you feel like being a baby about it.

I agree it's not cool to score on the last round of a close match or a few times when ahead. I disagree with the rest. If someone is 0-10 and they're able to score it good for them. If the other team can't stop someone with 0 kills and 10 deaths wielding a big glowing melee weapon on a linear route then they suck or failed to play correctly. Surely you can see that point right? I know I don't let someone score unless they really work for it, it's not hard to defend.